This historic waiting room is over 13,000 square feet and features a 65' half dome ceiling. The room was originally used as a waiting room for train passengers until train service was discontinued in 1971. Since the closure, the room had been used occasionally for large banquet functions, but was in serious disrepair. The restoration project required investigating what the original paint scheme was in 1911 and re-creating it. The project hired a renovation expert, Evergreen Restoration, who researched paint samples and methods to determine what the original room looked like upon its opening in May of 1911. After this investigation was complete, the renovation work began in January of 1999 and was completed seven months later. It was decided to use modern materials and methods to re-create the original design. The original faux stone design was enhanced by adding texture, and the original gilding designs were re-created using modern techniques. In addition, the decision was made by Sound Transit to add a modern HVAC system to the room, which never existed before. This was done without any significant modification or impact to the original building design.