Starbucks Center Seattle, Washington
Starbucks Center is a nationally recognized example of the successful redevelopment of a large functionally obsolescent warehouse building, as well as serving as the catalyst for the revitalization of an entire neighborhood (SODO District).
At just over 2,100,000 square feet on 17 acres of urban industrial land, Starbucks Center is a one-of-a-kind mixed-used facility, which blends retail, office, warehousing, manufacturing and distribution functions. Nitze-Stagen manages the day-to-day operations.
Built in 1912 by the Union Pacific Railroad to lure Sears, Roebuck & Co. to Seattle, the original building was constructed from heavy timbers from the historic Yesler Mill. Emboldened by the sale of lady's undergarments to Alaska, Sears built an addition in 1914 which was the largest structure west of Chicago at the time of its completion. The addition totaled over 800,000 square feet. In 1925 Sears opened a retail store at the site which, until it closed its doors in 2014, was the oldest continuously operating Sears store in the world. With building additions in 1945, 1956, 1965, 1974 and 2001, the complex may be the largest multi-tenanted building west of the Mississippi.
Nitze-Stagen renovated the building and preserved its historical heritage, but added modern technology. The building is currently home to numerous tenants, and serves as the world headquarters for the Starbucks Coffee Company.